Friday, November 11, 2005

I May Vomit

I'm sick to my stomach. Or is it my soul?

I just read Mister Bush's Veterans' Day speech. The guy has no shame whatsoever.
While it's perfectly legitimate to criticize my decision or the conduct of the war, it is deeply irresponsible to rewrite the history of how that war began. Some Democrats and anti-war critics are now claiming we manipulated the intelligence and misled the American people about why we went to war. These critics are fully aware that a bipartisan Senate investigation found no evidence of political pressure to change the intelligence community's judgments related to Iraq's weapons programs.

A bipartisan Senate investigation? The one chaired by Republican Pat Roberts who fixed the "investigation" and blocked the progress of Phase II of that investigation, which was intended to determine whether the administration had cooked the intelligence they used to sell the invasion of Iraq? Of course the "bipartisan" investigation "found no evidence of political pressure." Roberts and his allies ensured that it didn't.
…more than a hundred Democrats in the House and the Senate -- who had access to the same intelligence -- voted to support removing Saddam Hussein from power.

More than a hundred Democrats had the same intelligence as who? From an August 2005 Raw Story piece:
Shortly after the 9/11 attacks, President George W. Bush issued an order to the Central Intelligence Agency, Department of Defense, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the State Department, and his cabinet members that severely curtailed intelligence oversight by restricting classified information to just eight members of Congress.
"The only Members of Congress whom you or your expressly designated officers may brief regarding classified or sensitive law enforcement information," he writes, "are the Speaker of the House, the House Minority Leader, the Senate Majority and Minority Leaders, and the Chairs and Ranking Members of the Intelligence Committees in the House and Senate."

The last time I took a math course, "eight" was a damn sight fewer than "more than a hundred." And I have trouble believing that the "eight" who saw the classified information also saw the classified information that questioned the classified information the "eight" got to see.

#

I'm listening to presidential counselor and echo chamberlain Dan Bartlett spin Wolf Blitzer on CNN.

I may be sick.

Not sure if it's Bartlett or a touch of the flu.

#

These bastards, using Veterans Day for political purposes.

Bartlett, parroting the "Over 100 Democrats saw the same intelligence" talking point.

Sorry, got to run to the bathroom.

4 comments:

  1. I spent the day flying back from the the left coast so I was spared the thing live. When I got in my car and turned on NPR the first thing I heard was the idiot speaking the words in your quote. I was so mad and disgusted I was afraid to pull out on to the highway.

    Hope it was a reaction to the speech and not the flu Jeff. If not get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is your common variety of flu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm beginning to suspect Bush believes his own lies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too, Doug.

    That may be the scariest part.

    ReplyDelete