Sunday, October 23, 2005

Sunday in Virginia

Over at Kos and ePluribus, Todd Johnston builds a thought piece around one of my favorite Thomas Jefferson quotes:
"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever, in religion, in philosophy, in politics or in anything else, where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent. If I could not go to Heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

2 comments:

  1. Jefferson was brought up with a true classical education. I keep finding out things about him, like this quote, and continue to be impressed, even after all these years.

    I don't think Jefferson could've foreseen that so many people would be so insecure and uncertain -- and perfectly ripe for such an "addiction".

    ReplyDelete
  2. For all his personal (Clintonian?) quirks, Jefferson was a remarkable guy. Our local NPR station runs Clay Jenkins' "Jefferson Hour" once a week. What a treat!

    If I'd care to accept any political label, it would be "Jeffersonian."

    ReplyDelete