Thursday, October 27, 2005

Don't Worry, Be Happy!

Fallen Monk laments:
One thing that is really bothering me is the question of aftermath. If all of the most pregnant wishes of the left come through (Fitzmas?) to reality, we are going to be left with nothing but a President who probably peaked intellectually in the third or fourth grade. If Cheney, Rove, Libby, and all the rest are toast then we have GWB sailing our ship of state without any oversight and this is a guy that was an alcohol soaked coke head until he was forty years old. This is very frightening.

I disagree, Monk. This will put things back the way they should be. Congress--on both sides of the aisle--will take back the power Cheney, Rove, Libby, Rumsfeld, and the rest stole from them. And our ship of state will have the right hands on the tiller.

And those hands will be responsive to the will of the people, because they're up for election in a year.

This is a good thing.

6 comments:

  1. I hope you are right Jeff. I have been so disappointed in the way the Congress has rolled over again and again especially on things as important as Iraq and the Patriot Act that I have a hard time seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
    The anti torture stand is a good sign and I am glad to see some spine developing. I'll try and keep the faith in the system. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monk,

    I plan to do a follow up piece on this, but I think you're right that Iraq and the Patriot Act were the two big things that signalled the fall of congress.

    And I too like the anti-torture stand.

    Not sure what to think of the Harry affair yet.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...a President who probably peaked intellectually in the third or fourth grade."

    ---

    Absolutely priceless. You DO have a way with words Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate the compliment, Bob, but that was Fallenmonk's line.

    I'll pass the nice words along.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:52 AM

    Tyrant against the ropes, check.
    Congress takes back power, check.
    Elections coming to keep them honest, uh...

    Would that be an election by the same sheeple who were willing to throw away their freedom because the shrub was willing to replace Darwin with Genesis, and not let Bruce marry Bob? I don't exactly have a lot of faith in those people anymore.

    Would that also be an election using the same Diebold insert-desired-outcome-here election machines, and vote tabulators. When I asked my election official about a paper trail, all she could do was refer me to the roll in the bathroom.

    Democracy ain't out of the woods yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. William,

    I have no doubt the almost 40% who still think Bush is doing a good job will continue thinking that. But they aren't enough to keep the neocons in power.

    The message I think needs to keep repeating is that a dangerous cabal snuck itself into the White House and corrupted the constitution, and that we must be vigilant to ensure the executive branch never becomes this powerful again.

    I hope that sticks.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete