Friday, October 07, 2005

How Big Will This Thing Get?

The Patrick Fitzgerald investigation is starting to remind me of one of my favorite old jokes:

The first time Adam sees Eve in the Garden of Eden, he says, "Stand back, I don't know how big this thing's going to get."

And so it goes with the Rove/Plame/Traitor-gate saga.

Since the story resurfaced a few months ago, I've been a proponent of the theory that Fitz was after bigger fish than Rove and Libby, and that the case was about a far larger issue than who outed Valerie Plame. I've always thought the investigation was about the machinations behind preserving the WMD intelligence hoax on the eve of the invasion of Iraq, and I now think it might also encompass the suppression of intelligence on the 9/11 attacks. If by some chance my wildest conspiracy theories are anywhere in the ballpark of reality, the number of indictments we'll see handed down will be staggering. I won't be surprised if darn near every member of the Bush administration gets tagged, including the top two guys, a handful of past and present cabinet secretaries, executive department agency chiefs, a number of congressional luminaries from both sides of the aisle, past and present Bush nominees to the Supreme Court, energy and defense industry executives, and a smattering of news media personalities.

But I could be wrong.

One of my Yellow Dog Republican buddies thinks that Fitzgerald's been going after Plame and her husband Joe Wilson all along. But I really, really, don't think that's the case. It doesn't seem to me that a sharp guy like Fitz would to through all this trouble to trash people who've already been trashed.

Another theory says that Fitz has been a tool of the administration all this time; that he's really been working to exonerate the administration by compiling evidence to trash their opponents throughout the government. He could do that simply by saying that after two years of intense investigation, he has no charges to press against anyone.

If that turns out to be the case, I say it will be time to break out the torches and pitchforks.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:06 AM

    What's your Yellow Dog Republican buddy's name? Stretch?!?

    I recently read that there's talk of 22 indictments being handed down.

    Do you read Murray Waas?


    Kerstin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:33 PM

    I've been keeping my fingers crossed that Fitzgerald will come up with lots of good, solid indictments. I do think he has some very big fish to fry . . . they've been rotting and stinking a long time!

    If Rove doesn't get indicted, something is very definitely fishy. It would do my heart good-- and the country too -- to get these miserable excuses for human beings out of all their offices, out of our government for good, and perhaps even into prison.

    Outing an undercover agent for political purposes really rises in this instance to treason, in my opinion, and some mighty big heads ought to roll!

    I hope they will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too, Arrow.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:36 PM

    Tell your Repub buddy to stay out of the sun....

    ReplyDelete