Tuesday, December 27, 2005

The Haliburton of PTSD?

Is there no end to the lust for money generated by the Iraq war?

I got this e-mail early Tuesday morning.

Dear Fellow Veteran,

It is my privilege to announce the results of the Webb & Associates
Chaplaincy Consulting, operational-combat stress prevention (OCSP) pilot program, implemented with the 2nd Battalion, 11th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division from January 2004 to June 2005. These 632 Marines deployed to Iraq for 7 months performing 1200 missions and driving nearly 1,000,000 miles.

An unprecedented 95% reduction in PTSD was achieved.

Really? How did Webb and Associates come up with that number, and how did they determine that it is "unprecedented?"
This represents an ANNUAL savings of $921 Million for all troops currently deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan, considering only VA treatment and compensation costs. These savings will help ensure our obligations to current veterans are maintained. Help us prevent stress in our newest veterans by supporting our OCSP standard.

If we throw tax dollars at Webb and Associates, we'll save VA dollars at the other end?

I don't think so. But Webb and Associates would like me to believe otherwise.

Please click on this link (purposely not included) and register to send a letter to Congressman Duncan Hunter, House Chairman of the Armed Services Committee. Your letter will urge the funding and implementation of the Webb & Associates Operational-Combat Stress Prevention model within the entire U.S. Armed Forces.

As a Veteran myself, you have my sincerest thanks for your generous efforts to support our military service members, past, present and future.

God Bless,
Tom Webb
President
Webb & Associates Chaplaincy Consulting
A Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business

#

I've sent Tom Webb an e-mail at prayerboss@earthlink.net, the address provided on the Webb and Associates web site.

Dear Tom Webb:

Commander Jeff Huber, U.S. Navy (Retired) here. I too am a disabled veteran, and recently received your e-mail promoting your "chaplaincy" organization and your efforts on behalf of veterans suffering from PTSD.

In the spirit of fairness, let me tell you up front that I strongly suspect you are trying to exploit our returning veterans for monetary gain, and that you found my e-mail address through legally questionable data mining techniques.

I've posted my doubts about your motives and methods here, here and elsewhere.

At your convenience, please send me any materials or references that might allay my concerns about you and your organization, and I will make aggressive efforts to support you, your company, and your past, present, and future activities.

God bless,

Jeff Huber

7 comments:

  1. Now you have me even more disgusted with this guy than I was before.

    Man.

    I'm really glad I took him to task.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:26 PM

    Yet another reason why I love your blog, Jeff. Retired USAF Chief Master Sergeant (who also experienced the Navy's chief initiation ritual before everything had to be PC). My PTSD problems surfaced after 9/11. Fortunately, as a retired military member, I have access to a very caring and professional psychiatrist at a nearby military hospital.

    Life Member, DAV

    ReplyDelete
  3. DEF,

    I see the WaPo story's gaining traction in the bloggo--

    WTC,

    So glad to hear you go the help you need. Especially glad you didn't have to go to an outsourced faith based contracting outfit.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a veteran I am just offended and am not shy about saying so. This is just one more assault on the military and they wonder why recruitment is down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get more entertainment from TV commercials than the shows, frequently. Lately I've noticed the recruitment ads, and they're well-done, generally, but -- who in their right mind is buying it?!?

    I feel sorry for those young people and their families, more than anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:40 AM

    have they responded to your letter?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeff,

    The recruiting ads are, well, Orwellian.

    Dave,

    No response yet.

    ReplyDelete