Friday, February 10, 2006

Kool Aid from a Canteen

According to Robert Novak, one of the patriotic members of the administration controlled press who helped reveal Valerie Plame's undercover identity as an arms proliferation agent with the CIA, has now revealed the White House's latest strategy for selling its woebegone war in Iraq.
…the Bush administration is going directly to the public with its war message. Raul Damas, associate director of political affairs at the White House, has been on the phone directly to Republican county chairmen to arrange local speeches by active duty military personnel to talk about their experiences in Iraq.

This flies in the face of a Department of Defense directive issued in August of 2004 by then Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz.

"Political Activities by Members of the Armed Forces on Active Duty" limits military members on active duty from engaging in certain political activities. Among other things, a member may not:

-- Use his or her official authority or influence for interfering with an election; affecting the course or outcome of an election; soliciting votes for a particular candidate or issue; or requiring or soliciting political contributions from others.

-- Participate in partisan political management, campaigns, or conventions (unless attending a convention as a spectator when not in uniform).

-- Make campaign contributions to another member of the Armed Forces or an employee of the Federal Government.

The Wolfowitz memorandum also sets restrictive conditions on military members' ability to run for public office.

Now it appears that military members, legally bound to follow the orders of Mr. Bush, are being encouraged to participate in political activities that support the agendas of their commander in chief.

To steal a line from L. Frank Baum, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:18 PM

    You just missed the fine print at the end of each section, "unless it hurts democrats or helps neo-conservatives".

    As we all know, that's the main problem with this administration. Rules only apply to "them libruls", also known as any American not part of their little group.

    Of course, that "librul media" knows better on this subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:41 PM

    Maybe a dash before your time Commander - but we never said jack shit about politics on my tour.

    I've said quite a few times - something you didn't speak of in 'public' military places (ie: maintenance control, etc).

    Just like that CFC stuff... you'd better contribute or else - same way as you'd better vote or else (and dammed well we know who for - or else).

    I got called to the old man's office for not contibuting to CFC once. I explained my reasons - and they were good ones, he didn't like it, because 'dammit all Marines are supposed to help out'.

    So much for "voluntary contributions".

    My. white. ass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "100 percent command CFC partcipation" was one of you old man's fitrep bullets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:38 PM

    Seems like dKos said that of the returning vets running for office it was like 6 to 1 were running as Democrats. maybe thats the reason for the push back.
    For active duty folks to actually go out on speaking tours to advocate partisan policy makes me rhink of some latin American banana republic. Since these neocon-artists have nothing but contempt for traditional American values this hiding partisan politics behind a uniform doesn't surprise me.

    Jeff, ever thought of running for office?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only thing I care to run for is cover. No, their hiding partisan politics behind a uniform doesn't surprise me either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:54 AM

    It may have been on of his FitRep bullets, true - but all I know is that Marine who was a LtCol at the time I left...

    Retired a LtGen of Marines.

    I reckon that 100% CFC participation wasn't that big of a deal in the bigger picture of things.

    A comment to that effect:

    Thank God for that shit.

    p.s. - if you run for office, I'll come kick your ass. You do way too much good here.

    Semper Fidelis

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I needed more motivation not to run for office, you just provided it. I've had my ass kicked by a Marine before, it's no fun! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:10 PM

    Cmdr - with all due respect, Sir -

    No threat intended. Just a promise I intend to keep. I would really hate to see a good man get chewed up and spit out by these heartless, soul-sucking bastards. Not that I have any doubts of your abilities - it's theirs. And they don't fucking care.

    Take that - and imagine if you will, what I possibly could think about the current population of idiots running the show...

    Oooh Rah

    p.s. - they never told me that my oath expired when I discharged. That's their problem. Same as my Marine father and uncle told me.
    I sleep good, knowing Chesty taught them both very well.

    ReplyDelete